In this project, the client wants to improve the public search process on the current website.
This health insurance company wants to improve their online appointment system.
In the First step, I made a study about the current site.
I found three main problems with it.:
- The search fields are not ranked correctly. Mandatory fields are not marked.
- Filters are insufficient. A page with advanced filters is necessary to locate something that you know all the data that involves several extra steps on another page.
- When using the search field (magnifying glass icon), the options are limited. When you are using it, you need healthcare terms knowledge. You cannot search for a toothache.
The second step was the creation of a persona that fit the profile of their client and the journey maps.
- Client for more than ten years
- She lives in a big city.
- 31 to 45 Years old.
- Medium-high Management job.
- Limited personal time
She can be handled without problems on the internet (both in personal and professional use) and control daily platforms such as Amazon or Netflix. She performs searches, uses filtered content, etc.
The third step is to set the functional scope of the online appointment process.
I chose to focus on the improvement of search fields.
I am trying to improve responses to search suggestions and thus reduce results to a number more straightforward to manage for the user using the data we can save from the search.
appointment process workflow and wireframes online platform
we made the appointment faster with a simple filter in list view or map view.